Sunday, April 11, 2010

Healthy Summer Treats

I have a sweet tooth. I love a piece of chocolate after dinner, ice cream in the summer, cookies fresh out of the oven...pretty much any sweet will do. While I really do love treats, I try my best to enjoy them in moderation. Especially since Claire seems to have inherited my love of all things sweet.

Here are a few recent healthy treats we have tried and really enjoyed:
1. Banana Ice Cream - it doesn't get much simpler than this. You literally cut up bananas, freeze them, throw them in the food processor and voila...ice cream. Add a little chocolate sauce and you are set. Detailed instructions can be found here. I will admit that we got a little impatient and added a dash of milk, which really sped up the process.
2. Berry Banana Smoothie - just a few simple, frozen ingredients and you are set. Recipe here. I skipped the milk and it turned out great. Let me also add that if you haven't tried Greek yogurt, you should. It tastes amazing and has a ton of protein in it. I prefer vanilla if I am having it by itself, but plain worked great in the smoothie.

I have a feeling our summer will be filled with lots more of these guiltless treats!

No comments: