Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Sleep...I Miss You.

I like to sleep. Not so much that I sleep in until 10 am and take afternoon naps, but I do appreciate a nice overnight slumber. I need 8 hours of sleep a night in order to feel great and be at my best (just ask my husband).
When Claire was born, I experienced a type of sleep deprivation that I never thought was possible. Everyone told me I would be tired, but I was SHOCKED by how exhausted I felt. My muscles ached, my head hurt and each day I feared I would never make it through another day on so little sleep.
This time around, I thought I was prepared. I remembered how awful the nights would be for the first few months. What I didn't remember was how it actually felt to be so exhausted all the time. I also didn't factor in the fact that I have a toddler that gets up between 6:30-7:00 each morning, so I wouldn't be able to lounge around in bed until 8:00 if the baby was still sleeping.
As each week has gone by I keep hoping that Charlotte's nighttime sleep will get longer and more organized...patiently (or should I say, not so patiently) waiting to feel more rested. Don't get me wrong, she is getting better with each passing week. For the last 5 nights she has been sleeping at least one 4 hour stretch and until last night was going right back down after feedings. The problem is that her sleep still isn't that predictable. She was up for 2 hours in the middle of the night last night - why?!?! She was tired and would fall asleep in our arms only to wake up right was we laid her down. So frustrating!!
The good thing is that she is getting cuter and more interactive each day. She is smiling like crazy and she adores snuggling with anyone that will hold her. So while I desperately miss sleep...Charlotte, you are more than worth it!! Just look at those cheeks...they are enough to make you melt!!

No comments: