Friday, February 1, 2008

Hobbies - Old and New

Now that Claire is on more of a schedule, I have a little extra time to enjoy a few on my past hobbies and pick up one or two new ones:

OLD: For the past 10 odd years, running has been a part of who I am. I have enjoyed many types of runs over the years - early morning runs, hot and humid runs, runs so cold your eyelashes turn to ice, runs alone and with friends, slow leisurely runs and fast sprints - you get the point...
When I became pregnant 11 months ago, my runs quickly turned to walks for fear that I would somehow hurt the little being inside of me. While I am anxious to feel that same adrenaline rush that running seems to give me, I have realized over the past week that it might be a slow process. Last Friday I jumped on the treadmill for a quick run and after a mere 2 minutes realized that I am incredibly out of shape! The up side is that every workout since has gotten a little easier. Hopefully it won't be long before I am cruising the streets again...


NEW: Before Claire was born, we bought two new cameras - a digital SLR and a compact point-and-shoot camera. Due to intimidation, I have shyed away from the digital SLR until NOW. It is my goal over the final 5 weeks of my maternity leave to figure out how it works (and using the auto focus mode does not count)! I have no excuse as I have a wonderful subject to experiment on.



2 comments:

andrea said...

Sweet! I can't wait to see the fruits of your new hobby! She is absolutely adorable by the way.

Way to go on running too! Maybe someday we can do a half together. I would love that. Miss you! Art, need to call you back, too!

Shanna & Andrea said...

Hi Ang,

What a coincidence in the timing of your update on running! One of my good girlfriends (do you remember Abby Rosdahl from TSRS?) just had a baby girl last week. Like you, she's always been really active and wants to get back in to it as soon as possible. She only lives a short way from you (just across 35W) and I thought it might be good to hook you guys up while you are both on maternity leave for someone to go walking/running with? let me know if you are keen and I'll send you both an email. She's great fun and I think you guys would really get on well.